The potato-filled perogie of Ukraine has been honored in a statue in the town of Cherkasy. Townspeople created a 150 pound perogie that was gobbled up on the spot in celebration of the unveiling. According to a Ukrainian news website, "Sculptor Ivan Fizer explained that the vaerynyk ( perogie) is a source of energy and strength for the body and soul." Amen!
Just imagine public squares all over the world filled with food-inspired scultpures rather than works depicting uniformed men ( OK--and Joan of Arc ) on horseback...
( NB Some people write the word as "pierogi'" but in this case I am replicating what the Ukrainian translator used...We purloined this Post from our sister blog at www.potatomuseum.com)
Ukraine Recipe from www.brama.com
Mix 4 cups flour with 2 tsp. salt. Add 2 eggs and 1 1/3 cup of cool water. Knead lightly and cover with a kitchen towel. Place aside.
Mash 8 large cooked potatoes. Add 2 large chopped onions, which have been sauteed in butter or vegetable oil. Season with pepper and salt.
Mix 4 cups farmer cheese, 8oz cream cheese, 2 eggs and salt to taste. You can add a little sour cream if the mixture is too dry.
Potato and Cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped mild onion
2 cups of cold mashed potatoes
1 to 1 1/8 cup of cottage cheese
2 tbs. butter
salt and pepper to taste
Cook the finely chopped onion along with the butter until it is opaque and tender. Remove from heat and add the potatoes and cheese. Season to taste with pepper and salt. Fill the varenyky.
1. Roll the dough thin. Cut rounds with a cookie cutter or the open side of a water glass.
2. Holding the round in your hand, place a spoonful of the filling in the center and fold in half.
3. Press the edges to seal.
4. Lay on a dry kitchen towel and cover.
Cooking the Varenyky:
1. Boil a large pot of water and drop them in a few at a time.
2. Boil rapidly for about 4 minutes. (they should have risen to the top).
3. Place them into a collander and rinse with hot water and drain
5. Place onto a plate and coat with either melted butter, sauteed onions with bacon, or a dollop of sour cream on the side.
5. Invite 4 of your best friends and ENJOY!!!!!